Experiences in practical special effect for my master degree in art.
This creation is a video editing of a few experience in fluid mechanic I did during the summer of 2016. I have explored in this case the technique of fluid mixing on a glass pane.
I had hoped to produce the natural chaos and the complexity of strange phenomena with a technical and artistic esthetic difficult to reproduce with digital simulation.
The Kirby Crackle experiment is a study of fluid mechanics I have observed during the fall of 2016. I have explored in this case, a technique of fluid injection between two sheets of acrylic. I used water, oil, Cyalume and colorant. The first idea behind this project was to create an effect similar to a black hole. In the end the result was not what I expected and I found that the visual element reminded me more of some kind of energy crackle found in Jack Kirby's comic book.
FLUID MECHANIC EXPERIMENTS
This creation is a video editing of a few experiences I did with fluid mechanic in a cloud tank during fall of 2016. I have explored in this case, a technique of fluid mix with a handmade model kit.
The visual influence of the refinery and the project title are a direct tribute to the introduction of the movie Blade Runner.
My goal, with this work, was to create natural volume of clouds, fog and smoke in an environment with a dimensional reference based on a forced perspective. I had hoped to produce, in a smaller scale, the natural chaos and complexity of known natural phenomena with a technical and artistic esthetic difficult to reproduce with digital simulation.
This final experiment, named Sous la glace d'Europa (Under the ice of Europa) is a study of fluid mechanics in an aquarium. The technique I used was the combination of a volume of melted wax dropped in a volume of cold water to create a sculpture while cooling down. The goal was to create an underwater cavern environment to represent what an exploration might look like under the ice of Europa, one many of Jupiter's moon. I used many wax candles for the necessary volume of the sculpture. This idea came to me after a disastrous experiment in sculpting a complex plaster environment that got disintegrated under water. The final result was even more strange and surprising than what I achieved in my earlier try.